Do you want to become a carpenter? Here’s what you need to know about this exciting profession, including the skills you must have to land your dream carpenter job in Calgary.
Carpenter jobs are often well-loved by those in the profession. In fact, some adults also end up changing their career paths so that they can enjoy what skilled tradespeople already do because a carpenter job can make you feel more connected and accomplished.
Other incredible benefits of this profession include:
- You can pursue a huge variety of job paths.
- You have the opportunity to earn a good salary.
- You’ll be able to work from home and enjoy flexible hours.
- You’ll gain many transferable skills that can be used in other careers.
Matrix Can Help You Find Your Dream Carpenter Job in Calgary
Are you looking for a carpenter job in Calgary? At Matrix, we use our vast network and innovative online platform, Matrix Connect, to match you with a carpenter job that fits your skills, knowledge, and interests.
Want to know more?
FIND A CONSTRUCTION JOB
What Does a Carpenter Job Entail?
Carpenters construct, install, or repair structures and fixtures that are made out of wood and other materials. Such professionals are often involved in many different kinds of construction, from the building of bridges to the installation of kitchen cabinets.
Although the tasks of a carpenter vary depending on the type of job, some of the daily tasks involved in this profession include:
- Reading blueprints, preparing layouts and doing calculations.
- Building, repairing or installing structures made from wood and other materials including lightweight steel and concrete.
- Demolishing structures or components of structures, such as stairways and doorways.
- Removing debris to avoid workplace accidents.
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements using different tools.
- Maintain records, document actions, and present written progress reports.
- Prepare cost estimates for clients or employers.
- Perform minor welding, plumbing, or concrete mixing work.
Where do carpenters work?
Carpenters work in all areas of construction, from large industrial jobs to smaller handyman jobs. You can opt to become a residential carpenter who builds homes or apartments, a commercial carpenter, who focuses on building office buildings, or an industrial carpenter whose job it is to build scaffolding and create concrete forms for large construction jobs.
What Education and Skills Do I Need For a Carpenter Job?
The first step to becoming a professional carpenter is joining an apprentice program. However, to be eligible for this, you must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. Typically, an apprenticeship will last 3-4 years, during which you will learn:
- The necessary technical training
- How to follow construction safety standards
- Fundamental carpentry skills such as blueprint reading, mathematics, and freehand sketching
- How to use the tools, machines, equipment and materials of the trade
- How to deal with clients and form strong and lasting customer relationships
An apprenticeship exposes students to many of the construction trades and provides them with the knowledge and skills they require to find a well-paying job and even become a general contractor or supervisor.
What are the job skills and requirements for this profession?
Carpenter jobs are highly sought out due to their flexibility, creativity, and opportunity to climb the ladder. However, joining this profession requires certain skills, including:
- Attention to detail. Carpenters must pay attention to even the smallest details and be able to make things level and square.
- Manual dexterity. A large part of being a carpenter is working with your hands and tools such as saws and hammers. Not only is manual dexterity important, but so are steady hands.
- Math skills. Basic maths is used every day by carpenters, so you must have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of mathematics.
- Excellent problem-solving skills. All carpenter jobs are unique, which is why such professionals need to be able to adapt to different plans and environments and be able to solve daily challenges in a confident and efficient manner.
- Stamina. Carpenters spend long days on their feet, and often outside, so you need to have good stamina.
Land Your Dream Carpenter Job
Are you looking for a carpenter job in Calgary? At Matrix, we are committed to matching skilled labour with the right jobs, ensuring that you find employment you love and a work environment that is a perfect fit for you.
To find out more about how we can help you find a carpenter job, contact us at 1-866-666-9520, come see us at #204, 11420-27 Street SE, Calgary, Alberta or fill in our online contact form.