Searching for a new job can be discouraging. You can spend all of your time sending out resumes and still not get any responses, or get through interviews only to be rejected or never responded to again. When this rejection happens, it can be difficult to not feel discouraged but remember to keep applying. Creating momentum for yourself may feel challenging when you’re not getting positive feedback, but remember that you can only get hired if you apply. Try different strategies to motivate yourself to apply, use the resources you have available to upgrade your resume, and take advantage of other networking opportunities. Job searches may feel never ending, but when you find a job that’s a perfect fit for you, it will be worth it.
5 Ways To Improve And Motivate Yourself To Continue Your Job Search
- Reconnect With A Previous Supervisor. If you’re looking for a new job, take the initiative to reconnect with your old supervisor, tell them about the new skills you’ve acquired, and ask if they know of any job opportunities or have any ideas for you. You can ask your supervisor if they have a position you could fill or if they can mention your name to other supervisors. Being recommended by a former supervisor looks good for you and allows you to get your name out to more supervisors.
- Follow Up. For any companies you’ve had more interaction with than just a submitted resume, send them an email. This could be for a company you’ve interviewed for, a recruiter you’ve spoken with, or a company that you’ve emailed with. When you send a follow up email, make sure to give specifics about your plan to be an asset to the company. Highlight why your skills and training will directly benefit them.
- Set Goals For Yourself. Every week, write out three goals that you will accomplish. They should be accomplishable goals within a reasonable amount of time. Start small, with writing one cover letter or applying to one place a day. The important part is that you write your goals down and create a tangible plan to further your job search.
- Have Someone Review Your Resume. This could be a friend, a parent, a partner, or a previous supervisor. Ask them to briefly read it and tell you what stood out and what seemed confusing or unclear. You don’t want them to edit it or spend too much time with it, since the hiring manager that will review your resume will only be briefly looking at it and will pick out information quickly. After you’ve asked for their initial impressions, ask more specific questions about how professional it looks, if your experiences seem valuable, or if there are any aspects you’re missing. It’s great to ask this of people who know you well, as they may suggest qualities or skills you should highlight.
- Join A Recruitment Agency. You don’t have to be alone in your search; there are resources available for those searching for construction jobs. Staffing and recruitment agencies can help you find the job you’re looking for and will work with you to tailor your resume. Staffing agencies are a great opportunity to get your name and resume into an already established network within the construction community.
Join Matrix Labour Leasing In Calgary
Searching for commercial construction jobs in Calgary, Edmonton, and across Alberta can feel like a daunting task, but partnering with a recruitment agency can help you refine your resume and find great opportunities within the industry. If you’re looking for direct-hire, permanent placement, or temp-to-hire positions, Matrix Labour Leasing is committed to placing our employees in great companies where they will thrive. With over 18 years of experience placing the industry’s top talent in lucrative construction opportunities, our recruitment agency puts the most skilled workers with the industry’s leading employers. If you’re ready to launch your construction career, contact us by calling 1-866-666-9520 or by filling out our online contact form.
Q: Do applicants have to pay the recruiting agency?
A: No, they do not. Staffing agencies work by charging the company in which the candidate has been successfully placed in, not the candidate themself. If a staffing agency charges the applicants a fee, they are not a trusted staffing agency.
Q: What industries does Matrix recruit for?
A: Matrix can help you find work in all types of construction jobs, including roles as labourers, executives, and support, so we can find a position for you.
Q: Where can I find construction jobs in Canada?
A: You can begin your job search at our in-house job board.