Poor staffing decisions that result in bad hires can negatively impact the revenue and productivity of your organization. Here are the top tips from our Calgary staffing agency on which hiring mistakes to avoid during the recruitment process.
Filling an open position in your company can be an overwhelming, time-consuming, and challenging process, but the benefits of finding the right employee are truly immense. Working with a staffing agency can help you find the right candidate who will:
- improve the productivity within your organization
- adapt quickly and effectively to the work environment
- commit fully to your company’s mission statement and values
- give you a good return on your investment
- bring innovative ideas to your organization
Make The Right Hiring Decisions With Our Calgary Staffing Agency
Matrix is one of Calgary’s leading staffing agencies and we have the experience and extensive network to help you interview, screen, and test applications so you can choose the right candidate based on your particular needs.
Want to know how we can help fulfil all your staffing needs?
Contact Us Today
4 Staffing Mistakes to Avoid During the Recruitment Process
Staffing decisions that result in bad hires will drain your organization’s morale, time, training resources, and productivity, while the right choice will help you develop a strong, healthy, productive, and competitive business.
Here are 4 staffing mistakes you MUST avoid to ensure the success of your company:
1. Not Pre-Screening Candidates
A simple half-an-hour pre-screening can save hours of your organization’s time. This is a MUST for recruiting and hiring the best candidates because, during this process, you will be able to:
- Discover whether the candidate has the required knowledge and experience
- Determine if the applicant’s expected salary is out of your league.
- Assess the candidate’s congruity with your company’s culture.
- Enhance workplace safety by filtering out those who may pose a hazard
Don’t forget background checks: When you think you’ve found the perfect candidate, you may be tempted to skip a background check but don’t! This is essential for building an in-depth understanding of how a person will perform and assure you that valuable company resources such as finances and client relationships will be in safe hands.
2. Keeping Your Job Description Vague
Keeping your job descriptions vague or general can mislead candidates and invite many people to apply for the position, even if they don’t fit the brief. To avoid this staffing mistake, ensure you have:
- detailed job descriptions
- a written policy
- specific benefits that you will offer
Remember: Being honest with potential candidates will foster a healthy environment of trust and save both you and potential candidates time and frustration.
3. Failing to Prepare Interviewers
Your employees are the lifeblood of your organization and training equips your staffing managers with the tools they need to select dedicated and committed staff. Preparing interviewers beforehand will ensure that they:
- gain a better understanding of the importance of consistency and job relevance when interviewing candidates
- will be able to identify who is the best fit for the position and for your organization
- can properly assess each candidate’s credential
- will be able to quickly review all incoming applications and filter out those who don’t fit the criteria
By training your hiring manager, or opting to work for a staffing agency, you will be able to better understand how a potential employee’s personality and work style could potentially enhance or upset your current team dynamic.
How We Can Help You With Recruiting
4. Neglecting Your Company Culture
Although it’s very important to assess whether a candidate has the right skills and aptitude for the job, their resume is not all that matters. During the hiring process, you must find an individual who is suitable for your company and determine if they fit your company culture.
Remember: The way in which your employees interact with their colleagues and your customers will determine the reputation and productivity of your company, so assessing a person’s values and work style is essential.
To find out more about how our staffing agency can help fulfil all your hiring needs and help you recruit top talent, contact our Calgary office today at 1-866-666-9520 or fill in our online contact form.