The low oil prices have made for a tough and slow economy in Calgary. As if the job cuts weren’t hard enough to deal with, job seekers are now falling victim to opportunists that are promising employment prospects that in reality, don’t exist. At Matrix Labour Leasing, we want you to be aware of the recent scams that are trying to take advantage of job seekers.
Recently the news reported of a company named Daglo Oil & Gas Co who were promising and offering people jobs, at the cost of a fee. The scam essentially works by having job seekers pay for a variety of fees in advance of a hiring date. The company gets recruits to pay for work visas, travel expenses and other false administrative costs. Once paid, the jobs seekers discover that the company a hoax and that there is no employment of any kind.
We want all hard working job seekers to protect themselves and use caution with the following suggestions while looking for work with recruiters.
- A reputable employer will never require you to pay them cash upfront before rendering any services, especially online.
- Always protect your personal information.
- A company that offers employment before an interview is a major warning sign. Established employers will always require an interview before offering employment.
- Employment agencies DO NOT charge recruitment fees.
- Don’t fall for high-pressure sales tactics. A reputable company will always give you time to make decisions. Be aware of employers that seem urgent and want you to make a rushed decision.
- Do your research. Contact the employer and find out details about the hiring process. Check out their online presence by using tools like LinkedIn.
With or without a slow economy, be cautious and always research employment opportunities offered by recruiting companies. Our record speaks for itself at Matrix Labour Leasing, and we have been employing workers for a variety of industries in Calgary for over 12 years. To find out more about Matrix and what we do, contact us today on 403-201-9520.